Our History

Our Church History

Once the Savior walked the earth with His disciples. He asked them a very significant question, “ But whom do you say that I am?” Peter answered, “Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God.” Jesus answered, “This confession did not come by flesh and blood but by the Heavenly Father.” Upon this confession Jesus set up His church, Himself being the chief cornerstone, and as He said, “The gates of hell shall not prevail against it.”

 

            Over one hundred & fifty years ago the Spirit of God directed a small number of His children to this beautiful spot, and planted a little missionary Baptist Church. The following is the history of New Hope Baptist Church. Most of the information is straight from the original church minutes, but some information also came from previous church histories, letters, articles and church members.

            Mars Hill Missionary Baptist Church of Christ was organized in February 1860, in the residence of Richard Young, who lived near the mouth of Camp Creek, south of Baker-Lain Cemetery. The following were charter members, Richard and Catherine (Waggoner) Young, their son and his wife, Christopher and Frances Ann (Donoho) Young, Mr. & Mrs. William Burton and sister Vina Irving, who later became Mrs. S E Moss and Reverend Louis Baldwin who led the small congregation.

            They worshiped in the home of Mr. Young until the spring of 1861. At this timet they moved across the river in Bosque County to a schoolhouse, known as the Chapel, they stayed here only a few months before moving back across the river where they built an arbor near Baker-Lain Cemetery. They worshiped under the arbor during the summer months and in the homes of members when winter came. In 1870 they voted in conference to move their place of worship to a schoolhouse, near where the Brazos Valley School stood. In 1872 the organized church moved its place of worship to what was then known as the Freeland schoolhouse. They worshiped here until 1913, at which time the church built a house of its own at the location where it worships now. The name was changed to New Hope Baptist Church in 1876.